Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Carpool Lanes...Mixed Emotions!

In my opinion, the carpool lane (HOV) is a failure in Southern California. I don't know about other areas, but I do know for a fact that someone's idea to change social behavior and encourage strangers to carpool with each other does not happen and if it does, it wastes your time. Notice when you are in peak traffic and the carpool lane is empty and you are doing 5MPH. I know for a fact that if the carpool lanes were abolished, the average speed of vehicles would increase especially during rush hour traffic because the traffic would be spread out more evenly through the lanes. The facts that the average speed is low and makes us consume more fuel, generate more pollution, and even miss out on federal dinero. If we would be driving faster (even slightly) makes us burn less fuel, less pollution and gives us more federal grants! Not to mention you would be less pissed off because you would get home sooner.



On the flip side of things, I like the carpool lanes because no one is in them! Lately I have observed that there are few police cars in rush hour traffic because it isn't efficient to have your auto stuck doing nothing. I am one of those shits that drive in the carpool lane by myself. Especially if time is of the essence, and no one is in the carpool lane, and if a big truck is coming down! If you are going to break the law, I would suggest that you wait for a big truck or suv to block the vision of a "5.0" so they can't see you by yourself! You just wait patiently to get into the lane and wait for a truck and get in there before them!  Your only foe is the motorcycle cop.  They will come up on the right and look into your passenger mirror to see if there is someone there.  FYI. 

I have been violating the carpool lane pretty significantly for a couple of years already and I haven't gotten one citation for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment